Are you looking for a career that allows you to make a difference in people’s lives while tapping into your creative side? Then, look no further than learning how to become a Feng Shui consultant!
If you’re passionate about interiors or want to help others live their best lives, this could be the career for you.
In this article, we’ll cover everything you need to know about becoming a successful Feng Shui consultant, and how to get your feng shui certification online.
So, let’s dive in!
- So, what is Feng Shui?
- The 4 Central Concepts of Feng Shui
- Is Feng Shui Decorating a Good Career?
- How Much Do Feng Shui Consultants Make?
- Do I Need to Get Certified?
- Where Can You Study Feng Shui?
- To become a Feng Shui consultant
So, what is Feng Shui?
Feng shui is an ancient Chinese practice dating back thousands of years. It’s based on the premise that our surroundings impact our physical, emotional, and spiritual well-being. Feng shui practitioners believe by strategically arranging our living spaces; we can harness positive energy flow and improve our quality of life.
The phrase “feng shui” refers to “wind and water,” two vital aspects of life. Feng shui balances these two aspects and ensures energy flows properly in our living areas.
Feng shui practitioners believe everything in our surroundings, including furniture, plants, and colors, has energy. Therefore, by precisely arranging these things, we can build a balanced living space that supports our physical, emotional, and spiritual health.
As feng shui has grown in popularity in recent years, so has the number of people interested in becoming feng shui consultants. If you’re one of them, here’s our step-by-step guide on becoming a feng shui consultant.
Firstly, let’s look at the concepts of Feng Shui.
The 4 Central Concepts of Feng Shui
Ch’i is the concept of balanced, positive energy that is thought to flow through all things, including our living environments and bodies.
As a feng shui consultant, it’s important to help customers establish good ch’i flow in their homes and workplaces, as this can lead to increased happiness, wealth, fulfillment, and tranquility. Many feng shui strategies, such as decluttering, moving furniture, using specific colors, and adding natural materials, can help.
Yin and Yang
Yin and Yang are the universe’s two complementary forces, signifying energy balance in everything. Therefore, the Yin and Yang notion is fundamental to feng shui, emphasizing balance in our lives and living places.
As a feng shui consultant, you must understand the significance of Yin and Yang and how to use them to create a harmonious environment for your customers.
The 5 Elements
Fire, Wood, Metal, Earth, and Water – are other important concepts in feng shui, representing the five essential elements of nature. Balancing these elements in a living space can help to promote health, prosperity, and positive energy flow.
As a feng shui consultant, it is essential to understand how to incorporate the essence of these elements.
The Celestial Animals
The Celestial Animals (Black Tortoise, Green Dragon, White Tiger, and Red Phoenix) are a relative measure of landforms surrounding a home or business. They are thought to foster ch’i’s healthy, balanced flow. Each animal symbolizes one of the four major compass directions (North, South, East, and West).
As a feng shui consultant, it is critical to understand these animals’ effects and how to employ their energy to establish balance and harmony in a living area.
Is Feng Shui Decorating a Good Career?
If you are passionate about home design and feng shui, pursuing a career in this field would be ideal. This profession provides an opportunity to unleash your creativity and positively impact your customers’ lives.
Moreover, a significant demand for Feng Shui consultants, particularly in the post-COVID-19 era, led to a heightened appreciation of our living environment. Consequently, many people are now seeking ways to enhance their homes to achieve a better quality of life.
How Much Do Feng Shui Consultants Make?
It’s important to understand that a Feng Shui consultant has no fixed salary, which varies depending on several factors. These are some of the factors that will influence your income.
- The location you work in
- The demand for your services
- Whether you work part-time or full-time
- Whether you work for a company or run your own business.
Do I Need to Get Certified?
As with any career, getting certified can be a great way to gain credibility and show potential clients you have completed a formal course of study.
However, it’s important to note certification is optional to become a feng shui consultant, and many successful consultants have built their businesses without it.
While selecting the right feng shui certification program for you, do your homework and choose one that resonates with your ideals and approach to feng shui. Search for trustworthy programs with competent instructors with a proven business track record. It would help to consider the program’s cost and time commitment too.
Some of the most popular programs include:
- The Feng Shui Institute
- The International Feng Shui School
- The Feng Shui Academy
In addition to certification programs, there are shorter courses and seminars available. These will help you expand your feng shui abilities and understanding. This might be an excellent opportunity to enrich your education while gaining practical experience.
It’s worth noting while feng shui certification can be helpful, it’s not a substitute for practical experience and ongoing learning. To be a successful feng shui consultant, it’s important to continually educate yourself.
Where Can You Study Feng Shui?
There are several schools of feng shui, each with its unique approach and techniques. Some of the most popular schools include:
- The Compass School uses a compass to determine the orientation of a building or room and identify areas of positive energy.
- The Form School focuses on the shape and layout of a building and how it affects the flow of energy.
- The Black Hat Sect combines the Compass School and Form School elements and emphasizes the use of color and symbolism.
Research and choose a school that offers Feng Shui training, either online or in-person.
Ensure the feng shui course you choose meets specific criteria, such as being offered by a reputable school with accreditation. In addition, each course should provide the following:
- A complete course curriculum breakdown.
- An active social media presence.
- Offering hands-on training.
- Taught by industry experts.
- Offering an internationally recognized certification upon completion.
Remember, there are many feng shui certification courses available online. Choose the right feng shui course that meets your needs and will give you the highest-quality education for your money.
To become a Feng Shui consultant
After doing all the necessary preparation work, you can begin by taking the following steps:
Step 1: Research Feng Shui
You must perform extensive research before embarking on your journey to become a feng shui consultant. This will help you understand the basic concepts and theories of feng shui.
There are various books about feng shui available, ranging from beginner to advanced. “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Feng Shui” by Elizabeth Moran and Master Joseph Yu, “The Feng Shui Bible” by Simon G. Brown, and “The Western Guide to Feng Shui” by Terah Kathryn Collins are all prominent publications.
Another excellent approach to learning about feng shui is regularly attending seminars and workshops. Many feng shui practitioners offer workshops and classes to teach the fundamentals of feng shui and how to apply it in various settings.
Step 2: Get Familiar with Feng Shui Tools
To become a feng shui consultant, familiarize yourself with the tools commonly used in practice and learn how to use them effectively. These tools are essential for analyzing and assessing the energy flow in a space and making recommendations for improvement.
Here are some of the key tools used in feng shui:
- Compass: A feng shui compass, also known as a Luo Pan, is used to determine the orientation of a building or room. It is an essential tool for the Compass School of feng shui, focusing on the relationship between the directions and the energy flow in a space.
- Bagua Map: This diagram maps out the energy flow in a space. It is divided into eight sections, each corresponding to a specific aspect of life, such as wealth, health, and relationships. The Bagua Map is used in the Form School of feng shui, which focuses on the shape and layout of a building or room.
- Five Elements: These are a set of principles used in feng shui to understand the relationship between different elements such as wood, fire, earth, metal, and water. Each element has a specific energy associated with different colors, shapes, and materials.
- Crystals: These are commonly used in feng shui for their healing and balancing properties. They are believed to absorb negative energy and promote positive energy flow in a space. Different crystals are used for different purposes, such as clear quartz for clarity and amethyst for tranquility.
To familiarize yourself with these tools, you can attend classes or workshops by feng shui practitioners. You can also find online resources and books providing detailed information on using these tools effectively.
Step 3: Find a Mentor
Having a mentor is crucial in any field. Find a reputable feng shui consultant who has been in the industry for some time and is willing to mentor you. A mentor will help you hone your skills and knowledge and guide you.
Here are some tips on how to find a feng shui mentor:
- Seminars and workshops: Attending feng shui events is a great way to meet other practitioners and connect with potential mentors. Look for seminars and workshops in your area or online and network with other attendees.
- Join a feng shui association: Joining an association can provide access to a network of feng shui professionals. Many associations offer mentorship programs or have online forums where you can connect with other members.
- Reputable feng shui consultants: Look for consultants who have established themselves in the field and have a strong reputation for their work. Reach out to them and inquire about mentorship opportunities.
When choosing a mentor, it is important to find someone who shares your values and approach to feng shui. In addition, look for someone with experience in the area you are interested in, whether it’s residential or commercial feng shui or a specific school of feng shui.
Step 4: Build Your Practice
Once you have gained knowledge, skills, and certification, it is time to build your practice. Building your feng shui practice is crucial to becoming a successful consultant. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Build your network: Networking is essential for any business, and feng shui consulting is no exception. Attend events related to feng shui and connect with other professionals in the industry. Joining a professional organization can also be a great way to build your network and stay updated with industry news and trends.
- Market your services: A strong online presence is essential for any business. Create a website or social media page to showcase your services. In addition, consider investing in online advertising or offering workshops to build your client base and generate buzz about your services.
- Develop a pricing strategy: Setting your fees can be challenging as a new consultant, but it’s essential to be strategic. Consider the value you bring to your clients, experience level, and certification. Start with lower fees as you build your practice, and then adjust your pricing as you gain more experience and clients.
- Build a portfolio: A portfolio of your work can help you showcase your skills and attract potential clients. Take photos of your work with clients, friends, and family, and ask for testimonials to include on your website and marketing materials.
Step 5: Continue Learning
As a feng shui consultant, it is important to continue learning and staying updated with the latest trends and practices. Continuing education is essential to any profession, and feng shui consulting is no exception.
Here are some ways to continue learning and staying up to date with the latest trends and practices in feng shui:
- Take advanced courses: Once you have gained experience as a feng shui consultant, consider taking advanced courses to deepen your knowledge and skills. These courses may focus on specific areas of feng shui, such as space clearing, Chinese astrology, or advanced Feng Shui principles.
- Read books and articles: There are countless books and articles on feng shui that can help you stay up to date with the latest trends and practices in the industry. Make it a habit to read books and articles by reputable authors and consultants to keep informed and inspired.
- Join a professional organization: Joining the International Feng Shui Guild can help you stay connected with other professionals in the industry and stay up to date with the latest news and trends in feng shui.
Becoming a Feng Shui consultant is a fulfilling career that combines your passion for interior decorating with helping people to achieve balance, harmony, and well-being in their living spaces. As the demand for Feng Shui consultants continues to increase, this is an excellent time to pursue a career in this field and make a significant impact on people’s lives.