- Learn all aspects of working as a professional home stager
- Designed for aspiring home stagers and professionals alike
- Learn pricing and the business of staging
- Go at your own pace! One week or one year, it's up to you.
- Discover the psychology of home staging
- Earn your stager certification, and your website badge
- Get access to our forms, contracts, and checklists
- Browse hundreds of examples showing staging theory
- Build your confidence to stage your first home
- No questions asked, money back guarantee
Find out how to create enticing, irresistible homes that buyers will fall in love with. Discover effective strategies for networking with real estate agents & getting new staging clients. Start your new rewarding career today with Home Staging Institute’s expert home staging certification course.
In the past, if you wanted to learn to become a professional home stager, you had to attend far-away home staging courses at a cost of thousands of dollars in seminar fees, travel expenses, and accommodations. You would have given up a weekend to sit in a classroom.
You also had to wait for an expensive home staging certification seminar you could plan on going to, and that could be months away.
But let’s face it, not many of us are in a position to spend thousands and disappear for a weekend of home staging courses.
That’s why we created a home study course that allows you to more easily accomplish your goal of becoming a certified home stager.
The Benefits of Taking Our Home Staging Course
- Within the space of 4-6 weeks you can be fully certified, and up-and-running your OWN home staging business that brings in a regular income. How many courses can you say that about? Not many!
- You can work at your own pace. Need to go away for the weekend? No problem! Complete your current unit when you next get some spare time.
- It’s a LOT cheaper than attending a seminar. Why pay more to study the same content?
- The assignments are fun and engaging, ensuring you get excellent hands-on experience. You’ll complete real world projects that immerse you in your local market a little at a time.
- More than 1,000 people have successfully completed the course. If you don’t know anything about home staging, that’s OK. We’ll turn you into the professional home stager you want to become.
The Home Staging Institute offers courses and products that help people set up and run successful home staging businesses. Our home staging courses are online and can be completed from the comfort of your own home. The Institute was set up in 2007 when founder Jackie Riley, a successful home staging business owner, kept getting approached by people asking for advice. She found the same questions cropping up:
- How do I start when I have no experience in home staging?
- How much should I charge?
- How do you deal with problem houses?
She first created an eBook called Home Staging Success and this later became the basis for the courses on offer today, all of which have evolved over time to include the latest concepts and theory. More recently, her free guide on starting a home staging business has quickly become the most comprehensive source available online.
Today, the institute has students in many countries around the world, including America, Canada, the U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Germany and France. Headquartered in NZ these days, its courses and content help hundreds of students each year set up their own staging companies. Since 2007, thousands of people have graduated.
We look forward to welcoming you aboard!
10,000 words written by our team on the topic of how to start a home staging business. This ultimate guide is free to read online, and touches on a few of the topics we cover in-depth in our staging certification.
Read our free home staging training on the topic of how to become a home stager. We cover everything from deciding whether this is the right industry for you, to certification, marketing, and starting your business.
Does the course have any exams before awarding staging certification?
If there are no exams, how can the certification remain trusted within the industry? Here at the Home Staging Institute all students are required to take a home staging exam before we award the certification. Although this might sound intense, you can do it online, in your own time. There is no time limit for the exam, and you can complete it whenever you want.
Does the course offer any marketing material and information?
If you are starting a home staging business, then marketing is critical to getting your first clients. Included in our home staging certification are units on marketing, and in particular digital marketing. We've revealed what works best for our team, and also hired a digital marketing consultant to share insights from throughout the wider industry.
Does the staging training include hands on training?
It's good to put your knowledge to use in a hands-on environment. You might think the only way to achieve this is through in-person classes, but since we offer an online home staging course we encourage our students to stage their own homes, and send us photos for review and feedback. In fact this is part of our exam, so if you are taking one of our certification courses, you will definitely be getting hands on experience!
Does the course provider offer ongoing continuing education?
Some home staging courses unfortunately provide limited time access to their material. We pride ourselves on offering lifetime access to all our courses and all future updates and resources. Since we update our course frequently, you'll be able to login after you complete the course and discover new material.
Can I really earn home stager certification online?
Absolutely. Our home staging certification will provide you with easy to follow instructions, taking the guesswork out of the staging process.
You’ll have a clear, easy guide to walk you through what to do in every room of the house. Plus, you’ll have class assignments to help you learn the hands-on part on home staging.
It’s a supportive, stress-free situation designed to give you positive feedback and confidence for your new home staging business. It works!
Why is your course price lower than others?
The Home Staging Institute was founded with a mission to keep our course affordable so that anyone who has a dream of becoming a home stager can do so without money being an obstacle.
Do I need to pay any ongoing fees as part of your home staging certification course?
No. You pay up-front and that's that.
What is the total course cost?
The Basic Course, which comes with six units and everything you need to know about starting your own home staging business costs $177, or $30 in six monthly instalments.
Our Professional Course contains the same material, but includes the Certified Staging Expert diploma for those who complete the simple online exam. This course costs $247, or $42 in six monthly instalments.
We also offer an Advanced course, for those that want to dig into the psychology and marketing angles at a deeper level. Like the Professional Course, it includes the exam and official certification.
The Advanced Course costs $498, or $83 in six monthly instalments.
Payment details for all courses can be found on the home staging courses page.
Are there any prerequisites to take these courses?
There are none - apart from a few hours a week to set aside to getting your certification. Our basic home staging course offers everything you need to know to start a home staging business, however if you want to go the extra mile and earn your home staging certification from The Home Staging Institute, you can choose to complete our Professional Course.
Do you offer any free home staging training?
No, although we do our best to make all our home staging courses cheap and affordable. But not having a physical classroom, and doing all our training online, we are able to offer cheap home staging training which can be done from the comfort of your home.
We do offer a free home staging checklist template if you would like to start learning immediately, and one of the most comprehensive guides on how to start a home staging business available for free. Our home staging resources page also links to our free home staging contract, and our guide on how to become a home stager.
What's the difference between home staging and property styling?
Both home staging and property styling refer to preparing a house for sale. The two terms are interchangeable. This is why our Professional Home Staging course is the same as our Property Styling Course. Both courses come with the same certification from the Home Staging Institute, so it doesn't matter which one you take.
How long will your home staging certification take?
You can complete our home staging certification course online in four to six weeks, depending on how much time you can devote to your home staging course each day.
Do I have to pay extra if I need help after I finish the program?
Home Staging Institute does not charge any of its graduates for needing a little extra help. We’re here to support you, not charge you outrageous fees for answering a few questions. We offer free lifetime email support to all of our students.
What's with the exam?
Don't worry if you haven't taken an exam since school! Some of our students actually report enjoying taking the exam! It's very simple and consists of:
- Ten multi-choice questions that test your knowledge
- You posting some photos of the rooms you staged in your assignment work
- Several questions that confirm your understanding of the concepts behind home staging
Most students complete the exam in thirty minutes, some in even less time. And the best part is that you can sit it whenever you like, wherever you like.
Why should I get my home staging certification online?
One of the main benefits of completing your home staging certification online is that you can complete it in the comfort of your own home, whenever suits you. This makes our courses ideal to do when you find a spare moment, as opposed to travelling to home staging courses near you, and working around the class schedules.
Is this home staging certification 100% online?
Yes, we aim to be the number one place to get your home staging certification online. We don’t offer any classes in-person, which helps to keep our prices low.
Do I get a certificate after completing the home staging course?
You do! A certificate will be issued at the end of the course.
Do you offer home staging certification for realtors?
Yes, we do offer a specific home staging course for realtors. More information on our Realtor Course can be found here. This course is designed for realtors who want to offer real estate staging services to their clients to make some additional income.
It’s worth noting that all our home staging courses are suitable for realtors, so we recommend looking at all our options and choosing the one that best suits your needs.
Is there a free home staging course?
Yes, we occasionally open up a free home staging course here at the Home Staging Institute. This is a very minimal version of our basic course, and includes our free home staging checklist. We open this course once or twice a year. More details on our free home staging course can be found here.
Is this a RESA Accredited Course?
This quick answer to this is, no. Please take two minutes to read why.
In a nutshell, RESA (Real Estate Staging Association) is an independent third-party that can determine whether a certain set of standards are met for home staging courses. If the standards are met, the course provider can pay $500 per year, and a $750 application fee, to display the RESA logo on their website and be listed on the RESA website.
Here are the reasons why The Home Staging Institute hasn't submitted an application to become RESA Accredited.
1) RESA was established in 2007, a year after the Home Staging Institute was founded. $500 per year isn't a lot, but over more than a decade it adds up. Our goal is to make home staging courses affordable for everyone, and cutting unnecessary costs helps us achieve that. At the time of writing, there are four RESA Accredited home staging courses, and three of these course range in price from $999 to $1,300. Our most popular home staging course is just $247. We couldn't find pricing for the fourth accredited course, despite clear and transparent pricing being a requirement to become accredited.
2) We already know our course is quality, and we feel we don't need a third party to tell you it's quality. We'll let our past customers do that for us. We've been doing this for nearly 15 years and have taught thousands of students. You can read many of their reviews on our website. Our refund rate is under 1%, and for these few unsatisfied customers, we offer an immediate refund with no questions asked. We've purchased many other home staging courses (it pays to keep an eye on other courses so we can continually improve!), and have been embarrassed and shocked by some of the low quality content.
3) The criteria to become a RESA accredited course is published on the RESA website. We meet 98% of the criteria, but there are a few things like the "manual must be large enough to accommodate notes" that we don't meet. We are an online course and encourage our students to resist printing materials. All our slides, forms, templates, and checklists are provided digitally. A lot of the other requirements they check are what we would consider absolute bare minimums. For example, there can be no "get rich" promises, we must respond in a timely manner to customer enquiries, advertising must be 100% truthful etc. Of course, the Home Staging Institute abides by this Code of Ethics. We wouldn't be in business for as long as we have if we didn't.
4) There are 61 topics RESA states accredited home staging courses must include. The Home Staging Institute teaches most of these, but not all of them. For example, we don't teach 'Listening Skills', and we don't teach how to check domain name availability (for those wondering, it takes 30 seconds on a website like Namecheap.com to check domain name availability). We dive into additional topics that aren't RESA requirements, like how to build your website, the role of a company blog, and how to excel in search engine optimization in the home staging industry.
Our final word on this topic is that we support what RESA is doing, but it's not for us. We'll let our history and student testimonials speak for themselves, save the $500 annual fee, and continue to offer what we feel is the best home staging certification available online, albeit not RESA accredited home staging training.